Monday, April 18, 2011

NAS Update

Things have largely settled down now, but not all the news is good.

  • RAM -- upgraded from 256mb to 1gb.  Successful and helps.
  • DRIVES -- mixed news.  I tried putting in 5 2TB drives and I seemed to be hitting a wall at 8TB.  The NAS would say it was formatting but nothing was actually happening.  I even tried tricking it with 4 drives and then expanding into the 5th.  So I bought 5 1.5TB drives and that seems to be working.
  • EXTERNAL DRIVES -- here's where I'm really frustrated.  My plan was to get an external RAID chassis to get additional storages.  Either external interface only seems to work with one external drive at a time, not a RAID array.  Grrr, I might have hit the wall.

Unless I can get the NAS to recognize an external drive array, either through eSATA or USB, I may have to just abandon the NAS where it is.  Of course I can still use it but it won't be able to handle my future plans which will require an additional 10-16 TB.

I may have to bite the bullet and build a cheap PC to be a new fileserver. 

No comments:

Post a Comment